3 Healthy Easter Side Dishes for Your Holiday Feast
Easter is right around the corner, and that usually means a rich and decadent meal complete with glazed ham, deviled eggs, and (of course) loads of chocolates and sweets. Fortunately, there are still opportunities to incorporate healthy and wholesome dishes into your holiday meal.
Here are three of our favorites.
Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
- 8 CUPS of cauliflower florets (bite-sized pieces, 1 head should be plenty)
- 4 CLOVES of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/3 CUP of non-fat buttermilk
- 4 TEASPOONS of extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 TEASPOON of butter
- ½ TEASPOON of salt
- Black pepper to taste, Fresh Chives for Garnish
- In a steamer basket over boiling water, combine cauliflower and garlic and steam covered for 12 to 15 minutes, or until very tender.
- Transfer steamed cauliflower and garlic to a food processor, and then add buttermilk, butter, salt and pepper, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and process until smooth and creamy.
- Move to a serving bowl, topping with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and fresh chives.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Oven-Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Thyme and Sage
- 1 POUND of peeled and sliced carrots, each piece about ¼ inch thick
- ½ CUP of chicken broth
- 3 TABLESPOONS of honey, divided
- ½ TEASPOON of salt
- 1 TABLESPOON of butter
- ½ TEASPOON of fresh, minced thyme
- 2 TEASPOONS of lemon juice
- Black Pepper to Taste
- In a large, uncovered skillet (12-inch) over medium-high heat, combine the carrots, broth, salt, and 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Bring to a boil, and then cover and lower heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally, until carrots are tender.
- When carrots are tender, uncover and increase heat to high, stirring until there are only a few tablespoons of liquid remaining in the pan.
- Add butter, thyme, and the remaining 2 tablespoons of honey to the pan and toss until butter is melted and all of the carrots are evenly coated (about 3 minutes).
- When the glaze has thickened and turned to a light golden color, remove from heat, stir in lemon juice and any final seasonings to taste, and serve immediately!
Rosemary Roasted Potatoes and Asparagus
- 1 POUND of fresh asparagus, trimmed
- ½ POUND of fingerling potatoes, halved
- ¼ CUP of olive oil, divided
- 2 TABLESPOONS of fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 CLOVES of minced garlic
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Toss the potatoes, rosemary, garlic, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small bowl. Then, move the potatoes to a greased baking pan and roast for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
- After 20 minutes, coat the asparagus with the remaining olive oil and add to the pan with the potatoes.
- Roast for an additional 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately!