24-hour Immediate Coverage by Emergency Medicine Physicians Available at Level III Trauma Center
The Trauma Center at Beebe Healthcare in Lewes has once again been verified as a Level III Trauma Center by the Verification Review Committee, an ad hoc committee of the Committee on Trauma (COT) of the American College of Surgeons (ACS).
The verification program provides confirmation that a trauma center has demonstrated its commitment to providing the highest quality trauma care for all injured patients. There are five category levels, which reflect the extent of care that can be provided.
According to the American Trauma Society, a Level III Trauma Center has demonstrated an ability to provide prompt assessment, resuscitation, surgery, intensive care and stabilization of injured patients and emergency operations.
Elements of a Level III Trauma Center include:
• 24-hour immediate coverage by emergency medicine physicians and the prompt availability of general surgeons and anesthesiologists.
• Incorporates a comprehensive quality assessment program
• Has developed transfer agreements for patients requiring more comprehensive care at a Level I or Level II Trauma Center.
• Provides back-up care for rural and community hospitals.
• Offers continued education of the nursing and allied health personnel or the trauma team.
• It is involved with prevention efforts and must have an active outreach program for its referring communities.
Established by the American College of Surgeons in 1987, the Verification Program promotes the development of trauma centers in which participants provide hospital resources necessary for trauma care and the entire spectrum of care to address the needs of all injured patients. The American College of Surgeons is a scientific and educational association of surgeons founded in 1913 to raise the standards of surgical education and practice and to improve the care of the surgical patient.
Beebe Healthcare is a not-for-profit community healthcare system with a charitable mission to encourage healthy living, prevent illness, and restore optimal health for the people residing, working, or visiting in the communities we serve. It offers services throughout Southern Delaware including a 210-licensed-bed hospital, a cancer center, and outpatient facilities at multiple sites providing walk-in care, lab, imaging, and physical rehab services. For more information, please visit us online at www.beebehealthcare.org.