Beebe Healthcare, American Heart Association Host Second Annual Stroke Summit
The Second Annual Stroke Summit returns to Sussex County thanks to a collaboration between Beebe Healthcare and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. The Summit will again feature a series of presenters to educate and inform local residents about the risk factors of stroke, the warning signs of stroke, the latest information on prevention, treatment and care, the latest advances in research, and more. There will also be clinical breakout sessions to allow for continuing education credits.
Heart disease is the nation’s No. 1 cause of death, claiming nearly a million American lives each year, more than all forms of cancer combined. Stroke is the fifth cause of death in the U.S., the third cause of death in Delaware, and a leading cause of long-term disability.
Join host David A. Tam, MD, MBA, CPHE, FACHE, President & CEO of Beebe Healthcare, and E. Thomas Harvey, III, American Heart Association Delaware Board of Directors Leadership Chair, for these informative presentations.
This free educational event will be held at the Hyatt Place in Dewey Beach (1301 Coastal Highway, Dewey Beach, DE) from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 2. Registration is required; please fill out a form to reserve your spot.
Schedule for Stroke Summit
Registration 8:30-9 a.m.
Coffee with Continental Breakfast, Visit Sponsor Tables and Free Health Screenings provided by Beebe Healthcare’s Community Outreach Team
Welcome 9-9:15 a.m.
David A. Tam, MD, MBA, CPHE, FACHE, President & CEO, Beebe Healthcare and Mr. E. Thomas Harvey, III, Chairman & CEO, Harvey, Hanna & Associates, American Heart Association Delaware Board of Directors Leadership Chair
Opening Keynote Speakers 9:15-10:15 a.m.
Paul Sierzenski, MD, MSHQS, CPE, FACEP, Senior Vice President, Chief Physician Executive, Beebe Healthcare: Prevention, Risk Factors, Warning Signs. Did you know Delaware has the third worst stroke mortality rate in US?
Shilpi Mittal, MD, Jefferson Health: Secondary Stroke Risk Management
Breakout Sessions 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. (30 minutes each)
Community Sessions 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- John Wright, Sussex County EMS: Smart 911
- Kelsie Collins, PT, Director of Neurology PT Residency Program, Encompass Health Rehabilitation Hospital of Middletown with Stroke Survivor Karen Wey and husband Joe Wey
- James Ellison, MD, Jefferson Health: Stroke & Depression
- Fabrizio Sergi, PhD, Associate Professor, BME, ME, University of Delaware: Stroke Research on Robotics
- Kate Smith, MD, Program Manager & Clinical Liaison, Delaware Academy of Medicine/Delaware Public Health Association: The Public Health Impact of Stroke
- Kim Holmes, Clinical Specialist and Primary Stroke Program Coordinator, Bayhealth: Tenecteplase (TNK)
- Jeffrey Anderson, MD, PAM Health, PM&R Physician with Milford and Georgetown: Post Acute Medical Presentation.
- Liz Thompson, PT, PhD, NCS, Clinical Research Scientist, University of Delaware Department of Physical Therapy: Clinical Research Study Results on Post-Stroke Rehabilitation
- Thinesh Sivapatham, MD, Neurointerventional Surgeons, ChristianaCare: Mechanical Thrombectomy
- Carissa Baker-Smith, MD, Nemours Children’s Health: Importance of Primordial and Primary Prevention Beginning in Youth for Reducing Cardiovascular Disease Burden in Adulthood