- About Beebe
- Find a Doctor
- Our Locations
- Our Services
- Gull House - Adult Activities Center
- Bariatric Surgery
- Cardiac & Vascular Services
- Cardiac Surgery
- Cardiac & Vascular Surgery Team
- Cardiac Diagnostic Tests & Monitoring
- Cardiac Rehab
- Electrophysiology Services
- Interventional Cardiology
- Ornish Lifestyle Medicine
- Vascular Services
- Beebe Vein Center
- Diabetes Management & Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Emergency Services
- Home Care Services
- Hospital Medicine Program
- Lab Express
- Neurology/Stroke Services Program
- Oncology Services
- Orthopaedic Services
- Outpatient Services
- Physical Rehabilitation Services
- Population Health Department
- Respiratory Services
- Surgical Services
- Urology Services
- Walk-In Care
- Wellness Centers
- Women's Health
- Wound Healing & Hyperbaric Medicine
- Career Opportunities
- Community Outreach
- Patient & Visitor Information
- The Beebe Bite
- Patient Information
- Patient Surgery Information
- Patient Safety
- Patient's Rights
- Medical Records / Health Information Management
- Visitor Information
- Web Security
- Charity and Financial Assistance
- Beebe Medical Foundation
- Beebe Medical Group
- Margaret H. Rollins School of Nursing
- About Us
- Financial Information
- Financial Assistance
- Consumer/GE Information
- Student Services
- Contact Us
- Volunteer at Beebe
- Recognize a Team Member
HIMSS Analytics Honors Beebe Healthcare with Stage 6 Recognition
Submitted by Rachel on
As of July 2014, Only 826 of the more than 5,400 U.S. hospitals tracked by HIMSS Analytics had reached Stage 6 on its Electronic Medical Record Adoption ModelSM (EMRAM).
HIMSS Analytics announced that Beebe Healthcare has achieved Stage 6 on the EMR Adoption ModelSM (EMRAM). Beebe Healthcare implemented a new electronic medical records (EMR) system in March 2014 and has since achieved Stage 6, a level that only 15 percent of hospitals nationwide have met, according to HIMSS Analytics.
What Stage 6 achievement means for Beebe Healthcare patients and families:
- Potentially higher patient satisfaction and patient safety, according to HIMSS
- Faster turnaround time for patients to access their health information
- Potential reduction in errors such as duplicate medical orders, adverse drug events (ADEs), or preventable patient readmissions
- Increase in direct patient care time
What Stage 6 achievement means for Beebe affiliated physicians and team members:
- Less time spent on documentation
- Reduction in paper-based costs and environmental impact
- Supports Beebe’s focus on patient safety
“HIMSS Analytics congratulates Beebe Healthcare for leading the way toward health IT adoption,” said John Hoyt, FACHE, FHIMSS, Executive Vice President, HIMSS Analytics. “Stage 6 represents a level of sophistication that only 826 U.S. hospitals have reached to date.”
Michael Maksymow, Vice President and Chief Information Officer at Beebe Healthcare, said, “Beebe is proud and honored to have achieved the Stage 6 level. It’s quite remarkable that this level was achieved so quickly. Beebe was at HIMSS Stage 3 when we replaced our former EMR with Cerner in March 2014, a process that generally takes more than one year to implement.”
Beebe’s timeframe was only nine months and the success is attributed the outstanding multi-disciplinary team that collaborated on this implementation. Achieving Stage 6 is quite a testament to our physicians and nurses who are truly “meaningfully using” the EMR to transform how Beebe delivers care to patients.
"To obtain HIMSS Stage 6, this needed to be a Clinical project, not just an IT project. We could not have made this happen without our clinical staff and physicians leading this project," said Jeffrey E. Hawtof, MD, FPPFP, Vice President of Medical Operations and Informatics.
In addition to the HIMSS achievement, Cerner Corporation announced earlier this year that Beebe Healthcare was recognized with the Project Excellence Award for Q1 2014. Cerner’s announcement stated: “The Consulting Project Excellence Award is awarded to an elite group of projects that met strict operational guidelines, demonstrated the strength of their Cerner relationship and/or overcame extreme adversity during the project.”
Beebe is proud of this award as well but most important is the significant impact that the new EMR will have going forward on patient satisfaction.
President and Chief Executive Officer of Beebe Healthcare Jeffrey M. Fried, FACHE, summarizes the need for this massive project:
One of the obstacles that has prevented our healthcare system from being more efficient, having better outcomes and lower costs is the lack of a coordinated and integrated health information system. Health information is generated in physician offices, pharmacies, hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, in the home, etc. Without access to this information on a real-time basis, clinicians have not always had the most current information available to them when making important decisions with their patients.
Beebe is investing millions of dollars in information systems because we believe it is a critical part of the infrastructure that will help to change the way care is delivered, and ensure clinicians have the information they need to take better care of their patients. Receiving this level of recognition acknowledges the hard work of all those people at Beebe who understand why these systems are critical to our future, but more importantly to the health of our community.
Stage 6 hospitals, according to HIMSS Analytics:
- Have made significant executive commitments and investments to reach this stage.
- Appear to have a significant advantage over other hospitals for patient safety, clinician support, clinician recruitment, and competitive marketing for both consumers and nurse recruitment.
- Have almost fully automated/paperless medical records when they have implemented their IT applications across most of the inpatient care settings.
- Are either starting to evaluate their data for care delivery process improvements or have already documented significant improvements in this area.
- Recognize the strategic value of improving patient care with the EMR.
- Have begun to create strategic alignments with their medical staff to effectively utilize information technology to improve the patient safety environment.
- Are well positioned to provide data to key stakeholders, such as payers, the government, physicians, consumers, and employers, to support electronic health record environments and health information exchanges.
Stage 6 hospitals also have achieved a significant advancement in their IT capabilities that position them to successfully address many of the current industry transformations, such as meaningful use criteria in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, claims attachments for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, pay for performance, and government quality reporting programs.
HIMSS Analytics developed the EMR Adoption Model in 2005 as a methodology for evaluating the progress and impact of electronic medical record systems for hospitals in the HIMSS Analytics™ Database. Tracking their progress in completing eight stages (0-7), hospitals can review the implementation and utilization of information technology applications with the intent of reaching Stage 7, which represents an advanced electronic patient record environment.
About Beebe Healthcare:
Beebe Healthcare is a not-for-profit community healthcare system with a charitable mission to encourage healthy living, prevent illness, and restore optimal health for the people residing, working, or visiting in the communities we serve. It offers services throughout Southern Delaware including a 210-licensed-bed hospital, a cancer center, and outpatient facilities at multiple sites providing walk-in care, lab, imaging, and physical rehab services. For more information, please visit us online at www.beebehealthcare.org
About HIMSS Analytics:
HIMSS Analytics is a wholly owned not-for-profit subsidiary of the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS). The company collects and analyzes healthcare data related to IT processes and environments, products, IS department composition and costs, IS department management metrics, healthcare trends and purchase-related decisions. HIMSS Analytics delivers high quality data and analytical expertise to healthcare delivery organizations, healthcare IT companies, state governments, financial companies, pharmaceutical companies, and consulting firms. Visit www.himssanalytics.org/ for more information.
Caption: Shown are Beebe Healthcare executives (left to right) Jeffrey E. Hawtof, MD, FPPFP, Vice President of Medical Operations and Informatics; Jeffrey M. Fried, FACHE, President and CEO; and Mike Maksymow, CPHIMS, FHIMSS, Vice President and Chief Information Officer.