Beebe offers traditional, laparoscopic or minimally invasive, and robotically assisted surgeries in its advanced operating rooms at the Margaret H. Rollins Lewes Campus.
Thoracic Procedures at Beebe
There are different types of lung cancer procedures and depending on your type of cancer and recommendations from your care team, you might be able to have minimally invasive robotic surgery procedures including:
- Wedge resection - surgical removal of a triangular slice of tissue or tumor
- Lobectomy - surgical removal of a section of lung
- Segmentectomy - removal of a tumor on an organ or gland that could include surrounding tissue
- Pneumonectomy - surgical removal of an entire lung.
All surgery carries with it some amount of risk. With robotic surgery, patients can expect less scarring, quicker recovery time, and more precise removal of tumors. Studies have shown:
- Patients experience less blood loss
- Lower risk of infection
- Patients in 86% of cases are released from the hospital sooner.
For more information on Beebe Cardiac & Vascular Services, contact Jeff Peirce, physician relations liaison, at [email protected].