Beebe Healthcare Guidelines for Hand-Sewn Masks
Thanks to the incredible response from the community, and the help of Pam Smith, RN, at Beebe Healthcare, Beebe has a format and instructions for making donated hand-sewn masks.
Smith has created a specific mask pattern that Beebe will be asking all those willing to donate their time to make. These guidelines can be used for a 3-ply surgical pleated mask or one with a pocket that a filter can be inserted into.
Some supplies needed, such as:
• 100% woven cotton fabric or cotton T-shirt jersey-knit fabric
• Fabric or ribbon ties that are 12-18 inches long or 4 elastic bands to use as ear loops in lieu of the ties
• A creasing or marking tool
• Optional: 20-22 gauge wire cut into 4-inch lengths
• Scissors, thread, pins and other basic sewing tools
• An iron and ironing board
• A sewing machine.
“We are so grateful for the outpouring of support,” said Tom Protack, President, Beebe Medical Foundation. “If there was ever a time to consider donating to our community non-profit hospital, now is the time.”
“Beebe has made efforts in the previous weeks to conserve proper personal protective equipment, while keeping our employees safe as this COVID-19 pandemic spreads,” said David Tam, MD, MBA, FACHE, President & CEO of Beebe Healthcare. “Donations such as these masks will help us to prepare when a surge comes. Beebe leaders are preparing for when the surge comes not if. These items will be critical to use during that time. Beebe is following state and CDC guidelines to utilize donated masks in the proper medical situation, but they are still invaluable to our cause. We cannot thank these community members enough.”
Masks can be dropped off to Beebe’s Population Health Department. Bins are located on the covered front porch from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday – Friday. Donations will be collected frequently throughout the day and stored properly by Population Health team members working in the office. Staff is available for assistance, please call us at 302-645-3337. Donations left overnight will not be accepted.
Remember to practice social distancing. Please leave your name with the masks you donate so we can acknowledge your generosity.
In addition to hand-sewn masks, Beebe is looking for other items to be donated:
• Unused face and surgical masks, especially N95 masks
• Eye protectors: safety goggles, safety glasses, clear face shields
• Surgical and medical gloves
• Medical garb, suits, scrubs, and isolation gowns
• Cleaning and sanitizer solutions (such as alcohol wipes/pads, bleach wipes, sanitizing wipes)
• Hand sanitizer, including hand sanitizer bottles/pumps/spray bottles
• Brown paper bags and lunch bags
• Alternative respirators that OSHA has given permission to use in healthcare settings during this historic pandemic.