Salmon On the Grill: Easy as 1-2-3
It’s officially tailgating season, and that usually means two things: lots of grilling and a handful of guests at your house during game time. All this buzz makes it easy to get distracted while preparing food. Make sure you plan ahead this season by selecting healthy recipes and avoiding potential grilling toxins like Heterocyclic amines (HCAs).
HCAs are formed when meat is combined with extreme heat. Carcinogenic compounds are the result. Why is this harmful? HCAs have the power to damage your DNA and can put you at risk for colon and stomach cancer.
To protect you and your loved ones, follow these four easy steps to avoid the harmful consumption of HCAs.
- Select leaner cuts and smaller portions
- Use a marinade
- Flip meat often
- Reduce heat
According to the American Institute for Cancer Research, marinating your meat before grilling can prevent HCAs from forming by 96 percent. With grilling safety in mind, let’s take a look at an easy and delicious salmon marinade recipe that you can make at home.
Marinated Salmon On the Grill
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Calories Per Serving: 379
- 4 Salmon fillets
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of sugar (substitute for healthier alternative or remove entirely)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Cut aluminum foil into small squares. Place salmon fillets on each piece of foil.
- Season each fillet with salt, pepper, onion powder, and red pepper flakes
- In a saucepan, mix the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, balsamic vinegar, sugar, green onions, and cilantro. Coat the salmon with the marinade, and refrigerate covered overnight or for a few hours, whatever time permits.
- Fold the foil around the fish—seal and grill 5 to 7 minutes per side.
The next time you’re looking for a healthy, grilled dinnertime option, pull out this scrumptious salmon recipe. Or set it aside for the next big football game! Your guests are sure to enjoy it!