- Find a Doctor
- Emergency Care
- Home Care
- Outpatient Services
- Women's Health
- Vascular & Vein Center
- Patients & Visitors
- The Beebe Bite
- Visiting Hours & Guidelines
- Patient Information
- Gift Shop
- Charity and Financial Assistance
- Beebe is LGBTQ Inclusive
Medical Resources - Robotic Surgery
Beebe launched its Center for Robotic Surgery in 2018. Kurt Wehberg, MD, Board Certified and Fellowship Trained cardiothoracic surgeon joined Beebe to help develop and build the program. Dr. Wehberg has performed more than 500 robotic surgeries over the course of his career. He is the Co-Chief of Cardiothoracic Surgery, the Chief of Robotics, and Vice President of Clinical Innovation. Upon joining Beebe, Dr. Wehberg will be performing traditional and robotically assisted cardiothoracic surgery.
Beebe purchased and installed the da Vinci Xi robotic system in June 2018. Intuitive Surgical, Beebe’s partner in the creation of the robotic surgery program, worked with Beebe team members to train them on the protocols and procedures.
Fact Sheets & Downloads
Thoracic Procedures at Beebe
There are different types of lung cancer procedures and depending on your type of cancer and recommendations from your care team, you might be able to have minimally invasive robotic surgery procedures including:
- Wedge resection - surgical removal of a triangular slice of tissue or tumor
- Lobectomy - surgical removal of a section of lung
- Segmentectomy - removal of a tumor on an organ or gland that could include surrounding tissue
- Pneumonectomy - surgical removal of an entire lung.
All surgery carries with it some amount of risk. With robotic surgery, patients can expect less scarring, quicker recovery time, and more precise removal of tumors. Studies have shown:
- Patients experience less blood loss
- Lower risk of infection
- Patients in 86% of cases are released from the hospital sooner.