Mother's Day Recipe: Mom's Lemon Blueberry Muffins
Whether it's Mother's Day or any other day, take time to celebrate moms with a sweet treat that's packed with antioxidant-rich blueberries.
Mom's Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg white at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup agave nectar
- ¼ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nonfat milk
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Coat 6 cups of a standard muffin tray with nonstick cooking spray
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest in a small bowl until well combined.
- Then, in a separate bowl, whisk butter (or oil), egg white, and vanilla. Stir in the agave and Greek yogurt—until smooth. Stir the lemon juice into the wet mixture.
- Alternate between adding the flour mixture and milk to the egg mixture, beginning and ending with the flour, and stirring until just barely incorporated.
- Gently fold the fresh blueberries into the batter.
- Divide the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the tops feel lightly firm to the touch.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and then enjoy!