A Recipe Double Feature: Mother's Day Brunch
Mom is worth a little savory and a little sweet, so this Mother's Day (or any day) treat her to a homemade brunch complete with spinach ham and egg bakes and yummy banana bread!
Spinach Ham and Egg Bakes
- 1 PACKAGE of refrigerated rolled piecrust (14.1 oz is a typical size)
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 CUP of half-and-half
- 1 PACKAGE (10-oz.) of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed
- 1/3 CUP of smoked ham, finely chopped
- 2 Scallions, finely chopped
- 1 TABLESPOON ogf fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 TEASPOONS of Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Remove and unroll the pie crust, and cut into 12 4-inch rounds.
- Drop the rounds into a lightly greased 12-cup muffin tin, pressing up and slightly over sides of each cup. Chill 10 minutes or until firm.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, spinach, ham, scallions, dill, and mustard. You can also add up to a 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the crusts, and place in the oven.
- Bake for about 22 to 25 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 CUP of ripe banana, mashed
- 1 ripe banana, halved and sliced lengthwise
- 1 CUP of brown sugar
- 1/2 CUP of unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 CUP of plain Greek yogurt
- 1 TEASPOON of vanilla extract
- 2 CUPS all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 TEASPOONS of baking powder
- 1 TEASPOON of Kosher salt
- 1/2 TEASPOON of baking soda
- 1/2 TEASPOON of ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 CUPS of chocolate chunk, divided
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together mashed banana, sugar, butter, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Sprinkle flour over the mixture, then sprinkle with baking powder, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir until combined.
- Fold in 1 cup of chocolate chunks.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased 9 by 5 bread loaf pan.
- Arrange the remaining chocolate chunks and banana slices on top.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes, and then remove from pan and place on a rack to cool completely.