- Find a Doctor
- Emergency Care
- Home Care
- Outpatient Services
- Women's Health
- Vascular & Vein Center
- Patients & Visitors
Orthopaedics - Expert Care, Close to Home
People throughout Sussex County have regained their strength and mobility thanks to the care and treatment that Beebe Orthopaedics provides.
Beebe's orthopaedic surgeons see patients in their offices and at the Margaret H. Rollins Lewes Campus where they provide care and treatment. When certain surgeries are necessary, Beebe orthopaedic surgeons work with dedicated surgical teams at Beebe, as well as with orthopaedic nurses, physical and occupational therapists, case managers, and home health professionals well trained in getting patients back on their feet again. The James P. Marvel Jr., MD, Orthopaedic Unit at Beebe provides advanced technologies designed to improve recovery for our patients.
Looking to improve your health? Sign up for tips on our Health Hub.
Beebe is Creating the Next Generation of Care with plans to construct a Specialty Surgical Hospital at the Rehoboth Beach Health Campus on Route 24. Learn more.
Get Back to Your Life Quickly.
Beebe uses advanced techniques in surgery to best treat all of our patients. Joint replacement surgery teams and spine surgery teams use several different minimally invasive procedures to treat and repair injuries. These surgical approaches usually mean that patients recover more quickly with less pain and are back on their feet sooner. Our awards and certifications.
Advanced Orthopaedic Care
Orthopaedic surgeons perform many types of surgeries. The most common procedures are:
- Arthroscopy – using special cameras and equipment to visualize, diagnose, and treat problems inside the joint.
- Fusion – a process by which bones are fused or "welded" together with bone grafts and internal devices, such as metal rods, to heal into a single solid bone.
- Internal Fixation – used to hold the broken pieces of bone in proper position with metal plates, pins, or screws while the bone is healing.
- Osteotomy – correcting a bone deformity by cutting and repositioning the bone.
- Soft-tissue Repair – mending of soft tissue, such as torn ligaments or tendons
- Joint Replacement – removal of an arthritic or damaged joint and replacing it with an artificial joint, which is called a prosthesis. There are three types of joint replacement – partial, total, and revision.
- Spine – surgical spine treatment includes traditional fusion, laminectomy, and diskectomy procedures as well as minimally invasive.
Preparing for Orthopaedic Surgery
It is important to attend an education class at Beebe prior to your surgery. If you have questions about your surgery, contact the Orthopaedics Nurse Navigator.
Total Joint Replacement
Presurgery education programs for joint replacement patients contribute to strong medical outcomes. Beebe Healthcare's Total Joint Replacement program provides a multidisciplinary team approach to your care. Your team will consist of:
- Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Discharge Planner
- Nursing Assistant
- Physical and/or Occupational Therapist
- Registered Dietitian
- The goal of Beebe Healthcare's Spine Surgery program is to provide you with the best postoperative outcome by preparing you physically, mentally, and emotionally for your surgery. Our comprehensive, multidisciplinary team is highly skilled and has received national recognition.
- Preoperative education is provided on an individual basis depending upon the anticipated procedure. You will receive a phone call from one of our orthopaedic staff to review the surgery and what to expect during your stay and when you return home.
Other Services You May Need
Beebe HealthyBack - a non-surgical program for people with neck and back pain.